Sunday, June 30, 2013

Put On My Editing Shoes

I saw this picture while browsing the web the other day:


I thought, "Book shoes! Awesome! I could totally do that."

Project: Use a copy of your favorite book to decoupage a pair of kicks. But what's may favorite book? I couldn't decide. I love so, so many books.

So I looked at my shelves to see what books I had on hand. There, shining at me in all of its orange glory, was my outdated, but much beloved, Chicago Manual of Style.


Now that the 16th edition is published, my old manual was destined for the trash. And considering the frequency with which I consult this book, I could legitimately add it to my "favorites" list. I am always donning my "editing shoes" (or hat, or whichever piece of clothing your idiom prefers) in my professional and private life. Since editing is a big part of my identity, and this book is basically the editing Bible, I decided to make a very literal pair of editing shoes!

Ingredients:
an old pair of comfy flats that have seen better days
some favorite passages from my CMOS
a jar of Mod Podge

Result:
Amazing!!



Let me "walk you through" my favorite aspects:

The Title Page


Chicago's Recommendation for the Use of the Oxford Comma


The Grammar and Usage Chapter Title Page (my most-consulted section) and the Usage Guidelines for Comprise and Compose (a popular grammarian topic)


Uses of the Em Dash (a favorite punctuation mark) and Guidelines for Hyphenation with Adverbs Not Ending in ly (those dastardly adverbs)


Chicago's Description of Mechanical Editing


And there you have them! Real, bona fide editing shoes. I think I'll wear them to our editing meeting next month. All my coworkers will be sooooo jealous.

1 comments:

Joanna Galbraith said...

Those shoes were pretty dang awesome. May they rest in peace in your closet, or perhaps on a shelf in your office. Hope packing is going well! xo!

Post a Comment