Ah, married life. It really is as fabulous as they say. "They" being happily-married persons.
The wedding was pretty great. We flew in on Thursday evening and went our separate ways. His family picked him up at the airport and took him to Stafford. My family picked me up at the airport and took me to Alexandria.
On Friday morning, Seth's wonderful family decorated the cultural hall of the local church building for the reception. It look AMAZING (pictures to come). There were lovely vases with glass pebbles and black-painted branches hung with strings of crystals. Poor Jennifer (Seth's sister) got a tick while collecting the branches. Now that's dedication.
On Friday evening, the cake was delivered to the church building. Lovely. My sister and I donned our figurative bakers hats and, using expertise gained from years of watching TLC cake shows, decorated my wedding cake. It turned out fabulously, if I do say so myself. Cascading flowers = check!
Saturday morning donned much too early, and soon I was sitting with Seth, waiting to enter the room where we would be married for time and all eternity. While we were waiting, President Earl C. Tingey (of the Seventy, now the temple president, and our sealer) poked his noble head into the room and said, "Your brothers called. They'll be late. There was an accident . . ."
There was an accident? Oh no! we thought. Then he finished his sentence. "Traffic is really bad, so they'll be here in about 30 minutes."
Heart attack over. They were NOT in an accident. There was an accident on the freeway in front of them. Phew! But apparently they drove so fast to get there that they could have caused several more accidents.
After Robbie and Nathan arrived, the ceremony commenced. It was short and beautiful.
Pictures. Crying babies. Lots of wind. My veil kept flying off and people had to chase it. Etc.
Seth and I arrived at the church building 10 minutes before the reception was to begin. Walking in, we were greeted by the ambiance of white lights and lovely decor. I turned to look at the wedding cake, my masterpiece, and . . .
It was collapsing. Collapsing! The bottom tier was buckling in the back, and the whole cake was leaning like the tower of Pisa. Except less charming, because this was my wedding cake.
Luckily, it held up long enough for the traditional cake cutting photos before it was wheeled out on a gurney. Poor cake. At least it tasted delicious. Although I'm pretty sure I ordered a red velvet cake, and I'm pretty sure this one was chocolate . . . Lesson: nepotism and wedding cake don't mix.
Seth and I left for our honeymoon the next afternoon. We spent four days at Disney World in Orlando, FL. Hello, princesses. The only down side was the water. When we got to the hotel, we went straight to the sink for a class of cool, refreshing water. What we got was a cup of cloudy liquid that smelled like, as Seth put it, "wet fart." Really. Gross but true.
It's just the tap water, we thought. Wrong-o. The shower smelled like that, too. I got out of the shower feeling dirtier than when I went in. I brushed my teeth, but they never felt clean. And the wash rag I left at the side of the sink--by the next morning, sections of it had turned bright yellow.
The answer: sulfur. Yes, folks, Orlando is polluted with sulfur. Drink the water at your own risk.
Other than that, the trip was lovely.
Married-life discoveries: Seth snores only when he sleeps with me. Strange but true. Also, I like peaches.
2 comments:
Hooray for being married!!!!!!!
I don't snore! I talk to you!
Post a Comment