Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Heather's 24th Birthday

Yesterday was my birthday! I didn't take off work, and, on top of that, I went to the DMV to get my licence renewed, but the birthday celebration in the evening absolutely made my day.

I know I say this all the time, but Seth really is an amazing husband. He loves to pamper me on my birthday, and he LOVES to do whatever it takes to make sure I am surprised by my presents.

For the last several weeks, I have been under strict orders not to bring in the mail, receive packages, or check Seth's e-mail. He wanted me to have no hints whatsoever about what the mystery present might be. At the same time, he taunted me with the surprise by telling just about everyone he talked to what it was whenever I was out of the room.

When we were about to leave to begin the birthday extravaganza, Seth had me wait in the car while he "set out my presents." After a minute or two, he came downstairs and we set off to Wal-Mart. He dropped me at the nail salon for a pedicure (birthday tradition) while he did the grocery shopping and bought me a delightfully sunny bouquet of yellow flowers.

Then we drove down to Cracker Barrel for a delicious "home-cooked" meal (I was craving their chicken and dumplings.). After we ordered, Seth told me that he "forgot his wallet in the car." Bummer, right? I totally believed that line. I mean, who willingly goes back to the car in the rain once you are snug in the restaurant drinking raspberry lemonade?

It was a bald-faced lie. He had his wallet the whole time. What he went back to get was my present that he had been smuggling along for the ride the whole time.

He returned from the car holding a beautiful blue jewelry box tied with a white ribbon.


I was really confused. That wasn't his wallet. To the contrary, it looked like it would contain something sparkly. But I had no idea what. I wondered if he bought me some earrings at the Wal-Mart jewelry counter.

But no! Inside the box was a ring we had looked at together several months previous. A ring I had completely forgotten about. A ring that is pretty much the perfect combination of casual elegance and sentiment.


The center stone is opal (my birthstone), and it has two diamond accents (Seth's birthstone). It's a lovely reminder of how we get to be together forever, and I absolutely adore it.

Good surprise, eh? Seth's amazing.

After dinner, we came home and had cake (funfetti with rainbow chip frosting, YES!) and relaxed together watching Netflix.

I liked turning 24.

2 comments:

Spencer and Sara said...

Lucky girl! I think it'll be a while before I can get something sparkly again haha. Sounds like you guys had a great time! :)

Holly said...

My grandma always says the only time a girl can buy herself opals is if it's her birthstone; otherwise a man needs to buy her one. (She's an October birthday, too.) Seth totally one-upped the rule, since you're at liberty to buy your own. You caught yourself a good one.

Also, happy birthday!! Belated.

Also also, I love how he "forgot his wallet." When Sam proposed to me he "forgot his car keys" back at the restaurant, where his co-conspirators (i.e., the hostess) set out a treasure box that had the ring in it for us to find when we went back for the keys. These boys. They're so clever.

Post a Comment