Monday, August 2, 2010

The Cat Clause

I spent Friday sick, curled up on the bed in the fetal position. While thus situated, I decided to call the landlord and find out about something interesting Seth found in our new contract: The Cat Clause.

A portion of the contract outlined specifications for pet-having. When Seth read it, he got really excited. But the blank line that should have had the cost of the pet deposit was just that--blank. Hence the phone call.

The landlord and his wife are currently in the MTC, which makes this scenario all the better. The landlords were NOT happy about their apartment housing a prospective pet. In the words of Mr. Landlord, "We've had this place since 1993, and no one has ever had a pet." Apparently, we are the first tenants who have ever seen or asked about this pet portion of the contract, so the landlords never bothered to take it out.

In the background, Mrs. Landlord's shrill voice could be heard as she exclaimed, "No pets! I don't want any pets in there!" She repeated this phrase in several variations, with increasing volume, as the conversation progressed. Eventually, Mr. Landlord took a moment to address his wife's hysteria: "It's in the contract. What else can we do about it?"

And thus, with the rest of the missionaries at the MTC, both young and old, as auditory audience, it was decided that, yes, we can have a cat.

Woot!

So on Saturday, Seth and I went to Target and bought mucho kitty supplies, and then came home and bought mucho more kitty supplies on Amazon. And the cat? Soon!

3 comments:

Joanna Galbraith said...

OH MY OH MY!!! YESSSS!! Hot Waffles Burdsal! Hahaha, this is great! I even read it aloud to Johnny. Can't wait till you get the actual cat!!!

Spencer and Sara said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAAAAAA! That's what they get for having it in the contract haha. Maybe they should look carefully over it before handing in out... and maybe you should look more closely for stuff like whether or not painting is permitted if you paint it back before you move and what-not.
P.S. I would like to see pictures of this place. ;)

Liesl said...

Just out of curiosity, did this all happen while in the fetal position?

Post a Comment