Thursday, March 31, 2011

Careful What You Wish For

For the past few weeks, I have secretly been bemoaning the blandness of my existence. You may have been able to tell that we have been living rather low key, judging by the relative lameness of recent blog posts.

Snow has been keeping us inside, and nothing exciting has stirred our tranquil world, so you dear readers suffer through more pictures of the cat.

I should have been content.

Yesterday evening, as Seth was preparing to go to the optometrist (again), he discovered that our car had been burgled. Our "car" iPod, and it's attendant cords, as well as my nifty coin purse from Virginia Beach, had been stolen.

But not the (expensive) tennis rackets. Go figure. Maybe our thief isn't the sporty type.

Luckily, we think we have copies of all the lost music, and the iPod itself was pretty old. The cords were only $10 to replace, and the coin purse only had about $1 inside. Thank goodness neither Seth nor I had left our wallets in the car, as we sometimes do.

But you know how people say the most important thing thieves steal is peace of mind? It's true. I don't feel safe here.

We have a storage unit in from of our car in the parking garage. The lock we put on it is good, but the latch itself is cheap bendy metal screwed into old particle board. A 4th grader could pry that latch out of the wood without messing with our fancy lock, and then all our camping gear and sports equipment, as well as Seth's snowboard, would be up for grabs.

No offense to all you who love Provo, but it has become a trashy, trashy place. We live literally right next to campus, in the heart of the Honor Code, and apparently our neighborhood is still trashy.

Luckily, if all goes as planned with Seth's schooling, we will be out of here come December.

4 comments:

Joanna Galbraith said...

Oh, that is awful! At least nothing too valuable was taken.

I'd like to think that the thief was an avid tennis player who couldn't bear the thought of screwing with someone's love of the game.

We were always worried about that in Provo because we heard about it happening all the time. I guess there's bad people everywhere.

Rebekah said...

My mother likes to remind me that Provo tends to attract some criminals because they want to prey on the trusting nature of people who are surrounded by honor-code-signing patrons of BYU. I definitely agree there is a false sense of security in Provo. Sorry to hear you guys got robbed.

On a happier note, I dreamed that you and I were back in Vienna - speaking German and everything.

Spencer and Sara said...

Oh bummer! :( I hope you don't have any more experiences like that while you're living there. :(

Amanda S. said...

I had a bike stolen in Provo. Granted, part of it was due to my own stupidity, but I feel like I hear about more thievery in Provo than anywhere!

Post a Comment